Saturday 3 August 2013

Disconnecting the divinity of the Book of Mormon from its origins

I'm starting to reach some partialy formed perspectives on the Book of Mormon. 

So here are my beliefs as I understand them today:

- I believe God inspires men to write scripture in different times and cultures. 
- I believe the affect of applying the principles of scripture is a better test of its validity than praying about it or in studying its historical origin, but I accept the last two still have merit. 
- I don't think Joseph was an intentional fraud or con artist. Nor do I think his successors were. 
- I think it's possible for both Joseph to be a prophet and for Nephi etc to have never existed. 
- I think the Nephites might have existed. I doubt this will ever be proven by historical study. But historical study can show that they could have existed. 
- I think there is viability to some of the evidence for the Book of Mormon's ancient origin, but not all of it. Some of it is just coincidence. 
- I think there is viability to some of the evidence for the Book of Mormon's modern origin, but not all of it. Some of it just coincidence. 
- I believe that whoever was the original author (Nephi/Mormon or Joseph) that ultimately the inspiration for the content came from a divine source. Probably not word for word, but the principles and lessons are divine, not entirely man-made. 
- I do not believe Skousen/others theory that Joseph was simply an AV system for God. I don't believe he was reading off a spiritual TelePrompter. 

How did Joseph produce the Book of Mormon? I believe exactly what we claim. He dictated the book by revelation/inspiration.

My 'hung verdict' on the origin is a different process of study to the question of whether the words in book that exists today are of divine origin or not. 

I intend to continue investigating both. But the conclusion of the first will not make or break the conclusion of the second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment