Tuesday 5 February 2013

If two churches claim 'only absolute truth' does one have to be wrong?


I’ve been spending a lot of time over the last couple of months reflecting on the need for ‘absolutism’ in faiths. Joseph Smith said God told him to “join none of (the churches), for they were all wrong” and “all their creeds were an abomination in his sight.” He further compounded the absolute nature of our faith with the revealed statement: “this church… (is) the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth.” While some members will politely acknowledge there are ‘some truths’ in all faiths, many believe that eventually Mormon covenants and beliefs are the only way for the whole world to have eternal life (hence genealogy and temple work).

Mormons are not the only ones to claim to be the ‘only’ way or ‘best’ way in the whole world. I can see how that belief is useful, but could be contradictory if applied to more than one faith. The value of absolutes is well-illustrated by the apparent moral fallout of a few people at the Mormon Stories conferences. I’m not judging their motives, but see it as an interesting case study of the reaction of some people to loosing the certainty offered by Mormonism. Without the absolute beliefs, some attendees appeared to abandon basic moral values; values that aren’t dependent on Mormon doctrine. Having an affair or not isn’t simply a question of being a good Mormon boy, but loving and respecting someone you’ve made a commitment to. If I’m only avoiding an affair because I’m a Mormon, that’s a poor reflection on my underlying moral values. I like to think it goes beyond simply being told, by God, what to do and instead embracing ways I can treat people the way I would want to be treated.

People in Sunday School sometimes imply that if they became atheists they would also become immoral rogues: lying, cheating, being unfaithful, abandoning their responsibilities, hurting their bodies with substance abuse. I’ve often been critical of that slur on atheists. But maybe they really would. Maybe God knows them well enough to realise they can’t be trusted with moral independence. Maybe only the very strongest souls are given a free reign in life to map their own morals and to still be motivated to serve their fellow-man without a religious compass imposed on them.

I sometimes wonder whether God, in his mercy, is happy for certain faiths to make absolute claims in order to help the people in them. Some people can’t handle uncertainty. When we visit friends one of my kids needs to know, on arrival, what time we’re leaving. We used to say we didn’t know yet, but that would make him feel anxious about whether he’d have enough time to play. We’ve now learned to tell him something specific like ‘4pm’, safe in the knowledge that if it ends up being a little earlier or later he won’t complain about it. Maybe we’ll get to the other side and discover God has been doing something similar; giving absolutes to those who need them in order to help us along the way.

Others seem very comfortable without absolutes. They can function with uncertainty and are happy finding their own way along a spiritual path or in a faith that leaves a lot of room for personal interpretation or application. I admire people who have strict morals, warm hearts and helpful hands with no religious belief at all. To believe there will be no eternal blessings or consequences and accountability before God after they die, but still be a positive influence in the world seems, to me, to be truly praiseworthy. A brother-in-law of mine believes he will be nothing but worm-food at his death, but is one of the most moral, considerate and compassionate people I’ve met. He supports his family, uses his time productively and looks for ways of treating other people with kindness.

I’m uncertain about whether I can consider D&C 1:30 to apply to the whole human family. I’m comfortable saying it’s currently the only true and living church for me and that others would be wrong for me at this stage of my life. Probably for all of my life. Maybe I’m one of the people who would struggle without the absolutes. But in saying all that, am I making my foundation of Mormon absolutes start to crumble? An absolute can’t be an absolute if it’s not… absolute.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your insights. I've struggled with this as well.

    ReplyDelete