Tuesday 1 October 2013

What if I'm wrong? It's probable...

What if, I sometimes wonder, Mormonism really is the "only true church?" The only way to exaltation? My answer to this largely depends on what version of "Mormonism."

I think I understand Mormonism to a reasonable level. At least in so far as I can in my weakness and limited view. I might be wrong, I presume that it's likely. But if Mormonism, as I perceive it, is true then when I meet God I would ask him to give me a moment to turn and welcome the majority of the human family to the same place. 

- I will revel and celebrate in the diversity that brought each of us to the same point. 
- I will thank the Taoists for their wisdom and congratulate the Atheists for their independently created moral compass. 
- I will express appreciation to the Pagans and Humanists for their respect for the planet and its inhabitants
Etc etc
- I will thank many of the Mormon prophets of the past for teaching me the scope of eternity and the importance of finding my independent self

If on the other hand it turns out that the strict Mormonism of temple recommends and obedience is the only way to reach the highest degree of living with God then I will feel a bit surprised and then turn away and find out what's in store for the 99.9% of humanity that were given other vehicles by God to travel the path of eternities. 

I sometimes feel the fear that I'm unravelling the one true way to exaltation. That I'm sullying the pearl of great price. But then I read the many quotes from our leaders that say Mormonism isn't God's only instrument. 

The evidence for Mormonism being the only way for all of humanity pales in comparison to the evidence that it is not. 

It may be the only one for me, for now. But I don't believe for a moment that it is the only way for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment